The ISO 27001 standard was published in 2005 and revised in September 2022, essentially replacing the old BS7799-2 standard. The revised ISO 27001:2022 standard is putting more emphasis on measuring and evaluating ISMS performance as well as more controls for new sections on outsourcing, considering the nature of the IT business. BS7799 itself was a long-standing standard, first published in the nineties as a code of practice. As this matured, a second part emerged to cover management systems. It is this against which certification is granted.
ISO 27001:2022 enhanced the content of BS7799-2 and harmonized it with other standards. A scheme has been introduced by various certification bodies for conversion from the BS7799 system to ISO 27001 system.
Benefits to the Organization
By implementing an information security management system as per ISO 27001:2022 standard, organizations can achieve the following benefits from the ISO 27001 systems with continuous improvements.
The following is a list of potential benefits:
- Interoperability: This is a general benefit of standardization. The idea is that systems from diverse parties are more likely to fit together if they follow a common guideline.
- Assurance: Management can be assured of the quality of a system, business unit, or other entity if a recognized framework or approach is followed.
- Due Diligence: Compliance with, or certification against, and international standard is often used by management to demonstrate due diligence.
- Benchmarking: Organizations often use a standard as a measure of their status within their peer community. It can be used as a benchmark for current position and progress.
- Awareness: Implementation of a standard such as ISO 27001 can often result in greater security awareness within an organization.
- Alignment: Because implementation of ISO 27001 (and the other ISO 27000 standards) tends to involve both business management and technical staff, it often results in greater IT and business alignment.
- Management can be assured of the quality of a system, security of data, business unit, or other entity if a recognized framework or approach is followed.
- Increases organizational credibility and reputation.
- It can help identify process improvements and reduce customer complaints.
- Provides evidence of due diligence and reduces the likelihood of product recall and adverse publicity.
- Improves your organization’s image.
Following are the steps, that WeCloud follows while implementing an information security management system and ISO 27001:2022 certification in any organization in Vietnam:
- Micro-level survey of the existing system.
- Prepare the documentation.
- Conduct awareness program (top + middle + bottom level).
- Form a steering committee and task force for documentation.
- Identify and define the process approach.
- Define policy and establish objectives.
- Prepare documents for the information security management system.
- Implementation & train of all personnel in the use of procedures & formats.
- Training for the employee on risk evaluation, aspect, and impact.
- Training for internal auditors.
- Assess the system through the first internal audit.
- Take corrective actions for non-conformities.
- Apply for certification.
- Assess the system through the second round of internal audits.
- Avail pre-certification audit of certifying body.
- Take action on suggestions given by them.
- Final audit by certifying body.
- Take corrective actions on the non-conformities to the satisfaction of the certifying body.
- Get certified for ISO 27001:2022.
A prerequisite for successful implementation of an Information Security Management System is understanding the context of the organization. External and internal issues, as well as interested parties, need to be identified and reviewed. The requirements can include regulatory issues, but they can also go beyond.
The organization needs to define the scope of the ISMS. How widely will ISO/IEC 27001 be applied to the company.
The requirements of ISO/IEC 27001 for appropriate leadership are diverse. Top management commitment is imperative for a management system. Objectives should be set according to the strategic goals of an organization. Providing the necessary resources for the ISMS, as well as supporting the ISMS contributors, are obligations to be met.
WeCloud, a leading name in ISO 27001:2022 certification consultancy in Vietnam, helps organizations to implement the best information security system as per ISO 27001:2022 guidelines Experienced consultants of WeCloud provide effective IT security system implementation consultancy to organizations in Vietnam. WeCloud’s ISO 27001 certification consultancy service guides clients with step-by-step system implementation, data security training, system awareness as well as internal auditor training, and preparation of documentation for quick certification. Under ISO 27001 certification process – confidentiality, availability, and integrity of information are to be considered. ISO 27001 Certificate is issued by certifying body, which is accredited to provide certification under revised ISMS standard. It is issued for a period of 3 years after the successful completion of the pre-assessment and registration (final) assessment. Surveillance audits are conducted by the certifying body within the period of 3 years at the interval of 6 Months, 9 Months, or 12 Months, depending upon the nature and size of the organization.